What is it about fall and cooler temperatures that makes us crave carbs and comfort food? Our Walnut Sage Pesto Risotto will hit the spot when you’re in the mood for a creamy, comforting meal with exquisite fall flavors. This dish is beautifully dynamic and packed with flavor but incredibly easy to make with our pre-made artisan Walnut Sage Pesto. Never made risotto? Honey, pull up a chair and we’ll show you how easy it is to make our Walnut Sage Pesto Risotto.
What is Risotto?
You might be wondering – what is risotto anyway? Taste of Home describes risotto as “a creamy Italian dish that tastes a lot like the rice version of mac and cheese”. Okay sign us up. 🤤 Risotto is made using a special kind of rice can absorb quite a bit of liquid without becoming mushy and makes it the perfect vehicle for flavor.
How to Make a Simple Risotto
We’re going simple with this risotto, just using risotto, olive oil, and stock. Different than regular rice, risotto requires constant stirring to achieve the signature texture and creaminess. To begin, in a medium-sized pot, warm the oil or ghee. Add the risotto, allowing it to toast, stirring until the grains begin to turn translucent. Next, we’ll start adding the stock. Meat-based stock such as chicken stock can bring some additional savory depth. However, vegetable stock or water would work, too! Continue stirring, slowly and steadily add the stock to the risotto, one cup at a time. Consistent stirring is the secret to allowing the risotto to absorb and transform. Continue stirring until all the liquid is absorbed and the risotto is cooked through and creamy. It’s a labor of love, but it will be worth it.
Introducing the Walnut Sage Pesto Flavors
Now comes the fun part. To elevate our risotto, we’ll stir in the Walnut Sage pesto from our Fall Into Home box. This pesto is so packed with flavor it supports this entire dish. Fold in about 3 tablespoons (or more) of the Walnut Sage pesto, blending well. Give it a taste and add a sprinkle of salt to taste. If you’re in the mood, add some grated parmesan for an extra layer of richness.
A Simple Dish for Every Table
Serve up this dish warm as a luxurious main or a sumptuous side. This would also be a gorgeous side alongside a steak, chicken, or fish filet. When platting, top with a final sprinkling of parmesan (if desired) and a garnish such as a sage leaf and a few crumbled walnuts for crunch. This risotto is versatile, fitting seamlessly into family dinners, holiday meals, or elegant dinner parties with friends.
Walnut Sage Pesto Risotto
Yields 3-5 portions. Whether you serve it as a star main or a supporting side, it’s up to you.
- 1 cup of Risotto
- 4-5 cups of chicken stock or water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or ghee
- 3 tablespoons of Walnut Sage Pesto from the *Fall Into Home* box
- Optional: Parmesan cheese
- Optional: Sage leaves and walnut pieces for garnish
- In a medium-sized pot, warm the oil or ghee. Add the risotto, stirring until the grains begin to turn translucent.
- Slowly and steadily add the stock, one cup at a time. Consistent stirring is the secret, allowing the risotto to absorb and transform.
- Once the risotto is just right, fold in the Walnut Sage pesto, blending well.
- Season with salt, and if you fancy, sprinkle in some parmesan. Option to garnish with sage leaves and walnut pieces.
- Serve it up warm, and let the flavors do the talking.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @suncookery so we can share what you’re cooking!